You might love to cook! But we all know that American’s day to day life is becoming more complicated with added responsibility and limited time. Moreover, it is more time consuming to shop grocery items than preparing your favorite dinner. For this reason, people are taking more restaurant foods than homemade foods making them overweight very soon.
However, as it seems eating restaurant foods all the time is not good for your health and wallet. In a recent study, it has been found that restaurant foods contain more calories, sodium, cholesterol, and fat compared to home-cooked meals. Another study found that, a feast of 22 dollars at restaurant cots only 12 dollars to make at home. It is also more time consuming to go out, take a meal and returning.
So, what is the solution? Well, food delivery services have come to rescue people who are busy and have no time to cook. These service providers deliver fresh ingredients and delicious recipes. They also offer different kinds of food items along with varying methods of subscription so that you can choose what suits you the best. And even these services may not be inexpensive; they are as expensive as you think. Moreover, there are promotions and offers for new subscribers also. For more details, read through the article!
What are Meal Subscriptions and How It Works?
Meal subscription services are packages you can get with specific payment. There are different food packages with different items of food at a particular price. For a meal subscription, the number of delivery per week and month also counts.
All food delivery services like Freshly, Blue Apron, Home Chef and others offer quite similar food subscription packages. Their chefs create a healthy, balanced and delicious recipe to deliver on your doorstep based on the subscription package you choose. The service also does the grocery shopping for you and then ships everything you need to cook your meal.
All delivery services deliver to most US zip codes. While providing food items they use packaging that keeps food ingredients fresh for up to 24 hours after delivery and around four to five days in the fridge.
Each delivery service offers different subscription plans, but all offer the choice of two to four weekly meals for at least two and more people.
Meal subscription package at a glance;
- Every Subscription Package Has a Specific Price
- Delivery of Fresh Food Items 2 To 4 Times a Week
- Subscription Package Includes Meals for 2 Plates or More
- Some Meal Delivery Service Provider Provides Vegetarian and Kid-Friendly Packages
- Promotional Offers Ranges from 10 To 50 Percent of Discounts
- Delivery Costs May or May Not Be Included Based On the Service Provider
Who Should Depend On Food Delivery Services?
We know there are some of the best meal delivery services. All we need to do is to subscribe to one of the packages. Now the question is who the ideal subscribers are? Well, to find the answer you do not have to invest a lot of your time. The answer is, we are the typical subscribers for these kinds of services. People like us, who are busy with our every day, have minimal time and energy to go to the grocery shop after a long tiring day are the ones who should depend on food delivery services, instead of eating out at the restaurants. Are you looking for food delivery near me or pizza delivery near me? You are also ideal subscribers for these services. So, the list of the perfect subscribers is;
- A regular employee who prefers home-cooked food but doesn’t have enough time to go for grocery shops
- Kids who have left no choice but eat at the restaurant
- Older adults who are not well shaped to visit everyday grocery shop and cook
- And most importantly those who are busy managing home, family and work
Important Meal Subscription Statistics
The food-delivery industry is a $10 billion business, according to Morgan Stanley estimates and it’s only growing. Morgan Stanley also estimates that there are billions of dollars to be made in the food delivery space.
- Consumer spending on meal delivery service in 2015 was worthof 30 billion USD. 4 billion of this was accounted for by online delivery sales.
- In 2016, 48 percent of U.S. diners stated that they enjoy the food delivery services ‘quite a lot’ or ‘very much.’
- It is estimated that between 2016 and 2021, online sales of food and beverage will reach up to $66 billion, a compound annual growth rate of around 38%.
- The meal kit delivery industry is now worth 2.2 billion U.S. dollars.
- 12 percent of U.S. citizens have used a third-party meal delivery service in the last three months. 85 percent of them say those services have made their lives more comfortable, and 31 percent of them use those services at least twice per week.
- Blue apron one of the leading food delivery services made Up to $1B in Sales in 2016.
- It is also found that 41% of American adults visit different cooking websites to find their desired recipes.
A Quick List of Food Delivery Service Providers
As there are a lot of meat delivery service providers, it is a common question now that, which one is the best one? The answer is not easy, and there are a lot of factors that define a food delivery service are good or bad. For this article, we determine 10 best meal delivery service providers who are well-known and maintain a quality of services. Those are;
- Blue Apron
- Home Chef
- Green Chef
Comparisons of Top 10 Food Delivery Services
|Service Providers||Specialty||Price per Meal||Minimum Order||Delivery Cost||Vegan Diets||Food for Kids||Offers / Promotions|
|Blue Apron||Vietnamese Meatballs and Noodles||$8.74 to $9.99||3 Meals / 2 Plates||Free||Yes||No||2 Boxes for $50|
Chicken Tikka Masala
|$8.99 to $12.50||4 Meals||Free||Yes||Yes||$40 discount when first signed up|
|Home Chef||Sirloin Steak with Blue Cheese Compound Butter||$7.99||1 meal / 2 plates||$10, Free on orders over $45
|Yes||No||$30 off in first order|
|Green Chef||Mustard-Balsamic Chicken||$11.99 to $12.99||1 Meal/ 2 Plates||$6.99||Yes||No||$40 off for first order|
|HelloFresh||Red Curry Tofu||$8.75 to $9.99||3 Meals / 2 Plates||Free||Yes||Yes||$50 discount on first 2 Boxes|
|Plated||Thai Basil Chicken with Bell Pepper and Cashews||$11.95||2 Meals / 2 Plates||$7.95, Free on order over $60||Yes||Yes||25% off on the first Month|
|Dinnerly||Mexican Baked Beef and Rice||$4.99||2 Meals/ 3 Plates||$8.99||Yes||Yes||Promotional offer (up to 50%) available for first order|
|Handpick||Pizza polenta stuffed peppers.||$8 to $9||2 Meals/ 2 Plates||$8||Yes||Yes||Promotional Codes for Instagram followers|
|ButcherBox||Uncured Sugar-Free Bacon||$4.96 to $5.38 per Meal / $7.75 – $9 per pound||At least 1 Box||Free||No||No||Free ingredients for First Box|
|Munchery||muncheryChicken & Bacon-Brussels Sprouts||$12.99 to $14.99 (Cooked Meal)
$11.66 to $12.99 (Cooking Kits)
|4 Meals / 2 Kits||Free||Yes||No||$20 Reward for a successful invitation to a friend|
Getting a Full Picture of the Best Food Delivery Services
Food Delivery services are becoming more popular among the United States citizens. New food delivery services are also popping up every day. So, the number of food delivery services is increasing, and it is tough to choose the best one. You might also look for food delivery service near me.
So, to help you out we have discussed 10 top meal delivery service providers of the market which we have already mentioned in the table of the above chapter. For more details about meal subscription box reviews read below;
1. Blue Apron
According to the PR rep of Blue Apron, this is the country’s largest food ingredients and recipe delivery provider in the country delivering more than 800,000 meals per month.
Of course, there is a reason for that. Blue apron cost the least and provide the best meal subscription boxes.
Meal Subscription Plan
- At first, you have to sign up online, and then Blue Apron will provide you weekly boxes packed with enough ingredients and step-by-step full recipes for three meals for two, four, or six people.
- You can also have a Two-person plan and Family plan.
- In both cases the shipping charge is free.
- The family plan is more flexible and less costly as it charges $8.99 per meal while in the two-person plan they charge $9.99 per meal.
- In a two-person plan, you will have 2 or 3 recipes per week while in the family plan you will have 2, 3 or 4 recipes per week.
Finally, in Blue Apron, you have the freedom to select the dietary preferences to make sure that you don’t receive anything which you don’t eat, like fish, shellfish, or red meat; however, you will have less control over individual meals.
Do you want to get a balanced meal every week, don’t want to cook? If so, Freshly is the best option for you.
Freshly deliver’s single-serving meals that are highly delicious, healthy and convenient. It’s so convenient that you stick them in the microwave for two to three minutes and your food will be ready.
Meal Subscription Plan
- At first, you have subscribed to get started; then you have to choose the subscription plan.
- Freshly offers 4, 6, 9 and 12 meals per week.
- After deciding the plan, you have to select the delivery day.
- Now you will have the menu. Decide the numbers of meals you want to subscribe and then you are good to check out.
- Of course, you can previously check the menu before making any orders.
Freshly’s meals were delicious and tasty. The food was definitely better than a Lean Cuisine. However, it was still microwaved!
3. Home Chef
Home Chef kindly delivers us a complimentary package of three meals for two. All meals were delicious, and a bit easier to prepare than our experiences with Blue Apron and Plated.
Competitively priced at only $7.99 per serving, Home Chef is definitely attractive because of they more than 10 meal choices in every week, with good quality and variety to meet the customer’s need. There are options for vegetarians, as well as gluten-free, soy-free and low-calorie meals. There are also breakfast offerings for those who need it.
Meal Subscription Plan
Like other meal delivery service providers, you have to subscribe Home Chef by providing your email address for passing to the meal subscription plan.
- The meal subscription plan includes 2, 4 or 6 serving package.
- You can have a serving package for 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 times a week based on your need.
- There are also options to choose between meat, seafood, and vegetables.
- This Meal Subscription Plan also provides you the option for choosing low-calorie and low-carb goods. Also, you can exclude any food item you do not want to eat.
If you make your choices throughout this Meal Subscription Plan, you will receive what you desire.
4. Green Chef
Green Chef is an excellent meal delivery service that source organic, Non-GMO, and highly sustainable ingredients for their recipes. There are options for Keto, Vegetarian, Paleo, Vegan, Omnivore, Gluten-free, and Carnivore meals to choose so that you can get whatever you need.
Meal Subscription Plan
After successful subscription, Green chef will take you to the meal subscription plan.
- Green Chef offers a serving package for 1, 2, 3 or 4 people.
- For food menu, there are Keto, Vegetarian, Paleo, Vegan, Omnivore, Gluten-free, and Carnivore meal to choose from. After a successful package selection, you need to select this meal plan.
- For 1 to 3 persons, there is 1 box with 3 recipes per week. Each formula contains 2 servings.
- For 4 people, there are 2 boxes with a total of 6 recipes per week. Each formula contains 2 servings and total 12 servings.
The green chef is quite satisfying with its high-quality food delivery services. This USDA-certified organic meal kit company will give the taste and purity you seek.
The other big player in meal delivery services is the Hello Fresh. Hello Fresh delivers its farm-fresh ingredients along with acclaimed chefs, and different recipe cards which will teach you how to cook as you go.
Meal Subscription Plan
In Hello Fresh there are three plans to choose from. You can select the before the plan selection.
- There are a Classic plan, Veggie plan and Family plan to choose from.
- Classis plan includes a meal for 2 and 4 people with the delivery option of 2, 3 and 4 recipes per week.
- The veggie plan includes a meal for 2 and 4 people with the delivery option of 3 recipes per week.
- Family plan includes meal 4 people with the delivery option of 2 and 3 recipes per week.
HelloFresh is an excellent food delivery service that stands it way by delivering fresh and high-quality meal delivery service
If this article is only about the quality of food, Plated would be the best of the bunch. The food and recipe they provide are the most inventive and unique among other service providers. The downside is that it took up to an hour each to cook a recipe. This is a bit expensive service also.
Meal Subscription Plan
- Plated offers 3 different servings plan.
- There are options to choose 2, 3 and 4 servings per night option.
- Each serving has individual days to choose from.
- Two servings per night service start from $47.80, and you can have 2, 3 or 4 nights in a week
- 3 servings per night start from $59.70, and similarly, you can choose between 2, 3 and 4 nights per week
- The 4 servings per night package are designed for family, and it starts from $79.60. Similarly, you can choose between 2, 3 and 4 nights service per week in this package.
- You will also get the shipping free if your chosen plan exceeds 60 USD.
Do you think Blue Apron and Home Chef are expensive for you? Are you looking for the cheapest food delivery service? Well, Dinnerly offers a similar service, except it is only half the price! Dinnerly is also different from Blue Apron and others because their meal recipe has only six ingredients that can be cooked with only six steps. This cuts down the packaged waste and your cooking time. Being half the price, they still provide high-quality ingredients for their meal recipe.
Meal Subscription Plan
- Dinnerly meal subscription plan offers two different packages; Two-Person Box and Family Box.
- Two-Person Box includes 2 portions per recipe and 3 recipes per week.
- The price of Two-Person Box starts from 38.93 USD.
- The Family Box plan includes 4 portions per recipe and 3 recipes per week.
- The price of the Family Box is 68.87 USD.
- Based on the delivery week you will have different recipes.
Handpick is another popular dinner kit box service provider. They also offer a recipe app for the convenience of the users. In Handpick, there are different bundles available, such as Asian, Meat Lovers, Vegetarian, Gluten-Free, or Seafood. Every package contains 12 to 15 ingredients and 3 paired recipes.
Meal Subscription Plan
- Handpick provides affordable meal kits starting from $5.50 per meal, and it does not require a subscription.
- Each box contains more than 10 ingredients which can be used by 3 recipes
- Package includes Meat Lovers, Asian, Vegetarian, Seafood, and Gluten-free.
- The recipes are also easy-to-make and picked up from trending recipes on cooking blogs and Instagram.
- The Price of each package is; Asian – $32, Meat Lovers – $37, Vegetarian – $45, Gluten-Free – $44, or Seafood – $41
- For all the packages the delivery charge is $8.
ButcherBox, the online food delivery company ships delicious, grass-fed and humanely raised meat to you for a highly competitive price. Since not all of us have access to a local butcher who actually cares about meat, ButcherBox brings the experience online so that we can get the actual taste and proteins delivered to your door.
Meal Subscription Plan
- There are subscription boxes to choose from. Those are Mixed Box, Beef & Chicken, Beef & Pork, All Beef and custom box.
- As the name suggests, this is not the place for a vegetarian meal.
- Upon selecting the Box type, there is an option for choosing 24 meals or 48 meals every 30 days or 60 days.
- The 24 meals package cost 129 USD while the 48 meals package costs 238 USD.
- You can also choose add-ons like Burgers, Breakfast Sausage, etc. while choosing the subscription plan.
Munchery is another meal delivery service provider that delivers a very convenient meal kit system in a beautiful and comfortable package with easy instructions. It takes only 15 minutes to cook for most of the meals so that you can save 5-10 hours each week. The meals are good, but to some people, this may taste little bland. In Munchery, you will have the preference to choose prepared meals or meal kits as well.
Meal Subscription Plan
- In Munchery, there is 2 kits and 3 kits package. Each kit contains 2 serving size.
- The price of the 51.95 USD and 3 Kits package is 69.95 USD. In both cases the delivery charge is free.
- For both packages, the delivery option days are Tuesdays, Wednesdays or Thursdays.
- Upon successfully choice of delivery days and package, you will be prompted to choose the recipe.
Choosing the Right Meal Subscription Service Provider
The best meal delivery kits bring nutritious recipes along with fresh ingredients to your doorstep. This allows you to enjoy homemade meals even if you are too busy to go to a grocery shop. After trying several most popular food and meal delivery services, we found some key factors that determine the best meal subscription service provider. Those factors are;
- Healthy Food
- Beginner-Friendly Recipes
For more information about each of the factors read below;
According to the dietitian of Apples and Oranges Nutrition Hanna Rifki, the nutritional facts we find on different food labels are not as important as the list of ingredients they provide. To make an ideal healthy meal, you should cook with recognizable whole foods, plus a heap of vegetables. So, if you want to choose a healthy meal, look for companies whose meals were close to 50 percent vegetables.
The main appeal of meal delivery kits is that these service providers ease the hassle of home cooking. When you start receiving meal kits from your desired service provider, you no longer have to wander the aisles of different grocery stores paralyzed by indecision. The best meal kits will be delivered at your doorstep. The more convenient a service provider can make this kit delivery process, the better. So, if you want to choose the right meal delivery service for you, know about their delivery process and determine the fast food delivery service.
Price is definitely an important factor while choosing the right meal delivery service provider. Along with quality and service, the cost-effective service provider should be a priority. There are a lot of service providers out there who offer quality service with fair pricing. HelloFresh and Blue Apron tie with affordable pricing while delivering top quality services. Both of them offer $10 per meal.
People with cooking experience have an easier time making for most types of food. They can even cook a new recipe with fantastic accuracy. But it is not the case for average users and those who lead a hectic life. So, meal delivery service providers should enable easier cooking recipes to tackle whatever arrives in the box. So, if you have less cooking experience or a busy person with the cooking expertise you should choose the service that provides easy to follow cooking recipes.
Taste is another important factor while choosing a meal delivery service provider. Although everyone’s taste preferences are different, certain factors determine the overall flavor of foods and recipes delivered by the service providers. Look for the review and user comments and if possible try a meal delivery service before making a permanent decision.
Food delivery services have made our life more comfortable. Most of us are very busy to dwell the daily assignments and have minimal time to shop and cook. For this reason, a lot of us are consuming restaurant foods more often. But all of us are aware of the health issues of restaurant foods. Different meal delivery services have come to rescue us from the hassle of a grocery shop and determining the dish we want to consume. They provide fresh and healthy food ingredients and recipe at a very affordable price. So, it takes only a few minutes to cook and eat.
After reading this article, I believe you have got all the information about top food delivery services and their subscription plans, factors to choose the right provider and other necessary information. If you need more information, please let us know.