Lack of physical exercise is the main reason for many ailments like obesity, heart disease, type 2 diabetes, cancer, mental illness, sleeping disorder, and arthritis. Riding a bicycle regularly is a great physical exercise. It is an amazing way to break the sedentary lifestyle for some time and participate in an outdoor activity. Riding a bike is a refreshing experience for people of all ages. However, there are also a few negative aspects of cycling. In this article, we will discuss both the benefits and disadvantages of cycling.
Health Benefits of Riding a Bicycle Regularly
Cycling is an aerobic exercise which means active participation of your heart, blood vessels, and lungs. After riding a bicycle for half an hour or so will make you breathing rapidly and sweating which in turn will increase your overall fitness level. The health benefits routine cycling habits include
Enhances cardiovascular fitness
- Strengthen muscle strength and flexibility
- Improves joint mobility
- Reduces stress level
- strengthened bones
- Burn extra calories and fat
- Cycling and particular health issues
- Obesity and weight control
Obesity or developing excessive weight triggers many other diseases like heart diseases, diabetes, and hypertension. People gain excessive weight when they eat more rich food, gain more calories but not burn all of them. The research found that cycling an hour helps you to burn 300 calories.
Regular cycling stimulates the heart muscles and improves the functionality of lunges and blood circulation and reduces heart attack and stroke.
Many researchers tried to establish a relation between cancer and physical exercise and found that regular cycling greatly reduces the likelihood of colon cancer. The habit of daily cycling also reduces the risk of breast cancer.
In recent time, the number of type 2 diabetes patients have increased alarmingly. Lack of physical exercise and a sedentary lifestyle are the main reasons for increasing an overwhelming number of diabetic patients. Researchers in Finland found that half an hour cycling each day greatly lowered the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Prevents of bone injuries
Cycling enhances strength and improves balances and coordination. It also reduces the chances of falls and fractures. Cycling is a low-impact exercise that does not exert too much pressure on bone joints. This is why it is an ideal exercise for people who are suffering from osteoarthritis.
Effects of cycling on mental illness
Cycling is a refreshing experience. It can improve the mode of cyclists and reduces depression, anxiety, and stress.
Cycling in a Gym
If you are too busy with your work schedule that makes it difficult to find some time to ride a bike outdoors then a gym is an ideal place for you to continue your bicycle riding exercise. Another thing that can force you indoors is outside weather. If it is raining, snowing, or too windy, riding a bicycle outside is unthinkable. In such a situation maintaining a routine riding schedule inside the convenience of home is possible by riding a bike trainer.
The Cons of Cycling
Cycling is not completely free of disadvantages. A few cons of cycling
- Cycling is a comfortable exercise. However, since it is an outdoor exercise and the weather is unpredictable, excessive heat, cold or wet can make riding a bicycle uncomfortable and dangerous too.
- Road accidents are another difficulty of bicycle riding. If you get distracted while riding and fail to identify gravel on the roadway, falling is inevitable.
- Another thing can cause your falling is a curve on the street. If you failed to properly negotiate a curve, falling is a must.
- Pollution is another hazard to cyclists. Air quality in some cities is so poor that cycling in these areas will cause more damage to health than good.
- You may experience weak and numb thumbs from a long duration riding. These sensations result from keeping your hands in one position for an extended period which creates a lot of pressure on related nerves on your grip.
- The other less important disadvantages of cycling are
- Cycling is not as fast as car or motorcycle
- Many motorcyclists don’t like and want that cyclists ride their vehicles beside a motorcycle
- The distances that can travel by bicycle is far less than riding with a motorcycle or car
- Bicycle is easy to steal
- There is no specific traffic law on bicycle riding
- You cannot ride a bicycle except designated bike lanes.